[OSGeo-Discuss] Remote routing solutions

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Oct 6 15:05:27 PDT 2009

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> May I kindly ask for a bit of brainstorming about
>> available and programmatically callable,
>> optionally usable,
>> optionally effective,
>> optionally robust
>> solutions of remote routing services?
>>
>> The use case is very simple:
>> 1) client is a non-Web thin client
>> 2) client has access to the Internet
>> 3) client knows two locations "start" and "destination"
>> 4) client wants to know how to travel from start to destination
>>
>> What are available options to achieve that? Where if availability means:
>> * accessible for public
>> * free of charge
>> * does not require to sign anything,
>>
>> Custom solutions built on OGC-enabled stack (e.g. PyWPS, etc.) is also
>> an option to discuss.
>>
>> Any input greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Best regards,
>
> Mateusz,
>
> Is the client looking for a solution that runs somewhere on the net that
> they can make requests to, or are they looking to setup a server with
> data and a routing engine?

I intentionally didn't write anything about that as an indicator that it
does not matter. I mean, both options arepossible.
I can install (almost) anything or I can use something that's ready now.
Certainly, the latter would be easier.

By the way, I use word "client" as "software client" but not as a person
or company who asked me to deliver solution.
Actually, I'm thinking about implementing and delivering something on my
own, as an Open Source Software. However, that's another story.

> So I'll plug my infant and immature routing engine project:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengraphrouter/

Interesting. I will take a look. Of course I will, I've seen the "Boost"
stuff over there in SVN, hehe ;-)

> Also pgRouting is an option.

I know about it but...data, bloody data!

> The big issues in most cases will be data.

Yes.

> Some people are doing routing with OpenStreetMap and pgRouting.

What are the results of OSM evaluation for routing purposes?

> If they want accurate (ie: navigable
> routes then they will probably need something based on Navteq or
> TeleAtlas) or if they are look at a small county or state wide area then
> they might be able to get data from the local governments like
> http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm

At this particular moment, I don't care about data.
It probably silly as any software without data is useless, but first I'm
interested in setting up some remote service (software) infrastructure
(a demo, a testbed) that will allow a *thin* client to exploit and
benefit of routing.
This could be tested using any data that are available.
If proved working, finding proper data would be next step.

> Because good data is expensive and licensed, in most cases by
> transactions, it is not likely that you will find services equivalent to
> Google that are free.

I'm am an incurable dreamer but that incurable to aim to beat Google :-)

Best regards,