[OSGeo-Discuss] A brief survey of the kind of data you use in yourdaily work

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 09:14:01 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Craig Miller
<craig.miller at spatialminds.com> wrote:
> I filled out your survey.  I'm not working as a scientist and the survey
> didn't indicate that I should be.  I'm in commercial software dev.

Hmmm... that email was supposed to go out only to Bob, but went out to
the entire list, and this response should go to the entire list, but
seems to be headed only your way unless I add the osgeo address
explicitly to cc, which I will now as the following applies to most of
us (damn lists, with their non-standard reply-to management).

I am glad you responded, Craig. You must have noticed below that I
said "scientists" (double-quotes). I wanted everyone who works with
data to respond. I really don't care whether you are a commercial
developer or a skunk worker or a non-profit ninja hacker, or a DIY mom
or dad who grows organic grapes for a living. Lots of scientists work
in commercial software dev, and don't really wear white coats or have
stethoscopes dangling from their necks. I once called myself a
scientist, and my wife burst out laughing. That hurt a lot (I told her
that she wasn't an artist, but that didn't help me any).

I am interested in perceptions -- how folks view the data that they
work with. From personal experience, my assumption is that most of us
don't really mean the same thing when we think of "data." We conflate
data and databases, data and software, data and file formats, data and
information.

Anyway, more when my paper is done. But, thanks once again for
becoming a statistic in my survey.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org