[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 21:16:28 PDT 2009

Libraries and tools that can be used across different OSGEO apps.

data format libraries - done!

algorithm/analytic libraries = +1 . GRASS has an extensive collection.
 Would be good for other OSGEO projects to reuse them.

cartographic libraries = +1

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Helena Mitasova
<hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2009, at 11:40 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone, a recent chat I was asked about our vision for OSGeo over
>>> the next 3 and 5 years.  I'd really like to hear thoughts on the matter
>>> and pool a few of the ideas together for further discussions amongst
>>> committees, projects, chapters and the board.
>>>
>>> It's also a good way for the board nominees in the upcoming election to
>>> get a sense of where other members are thinking these days.
>>

>> My measurement of success for OSGeo and priorities I hope it shares in the
>> next 3-5 years are the following three items:
>> - Continued expansion of the local chapters.  Local chapters make OSGeo
>> real in the sense that mailing lists, websites, and an IRC channel can't.
>> - The conference continues uninterrupted for the next five years, and we
>> start to use it our central fundraising piece.
>> - Cross-project collaboration, like the journal, osgeo4w, metacrs,
>> benchmarking, system administration, and geodata continues to be fostered by
>> us.  From my biased developer's perspective, these have been OSGeo's biggest
>> accomplishments along with the local chapter development and consolidation
>> of the conference.
>
> +1 on these, including OSGeo Edu efforts as another example of
>  cross-project collaboration
>
> Helena
>>
>> Howard

cheers,