[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Rafal Wawer Rafal.Wawer at sadl.kuleuven.be
Tue Sep 15 01:03:39 PDT 2009

Development:
Analitic functions +1
cartography  +1

Incorporating OGC and ISO standards, especially in the server/client domain to assure techncial interoperability.
Upcoming implementation of SEIS and INSPIRE is a good chance to increase the share of FOSS4G on the European market. SEIS is defined officialy so far only with the communication of the EC (COM(2008) 46 final), but already in the communicaiton it is stated ".. information sharing and processing should be supported through common, free opensource software tools.".  OGC WPS and sensor-related standards will certainly play a key role in SEIS setups, although there are already voices that those approved standards do not provide optimal solution from the techncial point of view, nevertheless now they are seen as foundations of the technical interoperability of systems and services.

More mature setup programs - I refer to the OSGEo4W and stand alone Qgis installer, where at the beginning of the release in July you need to perform silly tricks to be able to use GRASS plugin within QGIS. Good 10% of my gray hair come from going around the problems arising from the failure setups during the hands-on sessions of summer course on FOSS4G this year. (-;

Other OSGEO initiatives:
Geodata  - certainly a good forum for discussions on the implementation of INSPIRE and availability of free data in Europe.

Journal - it would be wonderfull if the Journal would became a regular scientific print. I am afraid, withour regular issueing and fast editorial scheme we won't attract interesting papers and hence journal will not get any IF.... I think we need a clear strategy for the Journal for the upcoming years.

What about OSGEO's involvement in European projects?

Cheers,
Raf