[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Election: Helena

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 22 21:57:55 PDT 2009

The vision and objectives that I would like to pursue
build upon my work in research, development and education and
I will strive to:

- promote broader use and development of OSGeo software stack
and general open source principles in academia;
- encourage and promote use of open source tools in
geospatial research;
- support development of new methods and applications
by working with developers and pursuing relevant grants
that can provide funding for students to develop
more complex geospatial tools needed for scientific applications;
- advance OSGeo participation at non-OSGeo conferences
by linking with groups that organize open source sections
at many large scientific meetings as well as smaller symposia
- contribute to the development of educational infrastructure,
especially at the university level, to create more favorable
conditions for
education of a new generation of OSGeo developers and users
who will ensure sustainable growth of OSGeo in future

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth
and Atmospheric Sciences