[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Election - Jeff McKenna

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Sep 24 08:15:58 PDT 2009

Hello community and Charter Members,

I must say that it is quite an honor to be considered in the same class
as the 13 other nominees.  Each one is hard-working and extremely
dedicated.  It's a good sign of a strong and mature OSGeo community.

Well this is a good time to reflect on what the OSGeo community means to
me.  Without the community I would just be another geographer; but with
the community I am allowed to share ideas, work with brilliant people
across the globe, and hopefully help new users as they start down the
OSGeo path.  And you know what the best part of it is?  I enjoy it.  I
truly do.

I have been very active with OSGeo's annual FOSS4G event since its
inception.  I am very proud to be involved in spreading the passion for
OSGeo to communities such as last years event in Cape Town, South Africa
and coming up in Sydney, Australia.  As chair of the OSGeo conference
committee, I'm excited about the possibilities for 2011 and beyond.
Every year the decision of where to host the event becomes more
difficult, as our OSGeo community grows more mature and spreads across
the globe.  How exciting!

If I am voted onto the OSGeo Board, I will bring my excitement and
passion that's for sure, but I will also make sure that we never forget
our roots - the community.

Thank you for this opportunity.  I must also specifically thank fellow
charter members Julien-Samuel Lacroix and GĂ©rald Fenoy for their kind
words in nominating me.

-Jeff McKenna