[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Election: Charlie Schweik

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Sep 23 08:35:43 PDT 2009

I've been involved with OSGeo for several years now, trying to help move
our educational committee forward.

Recently, in the U.S., I attended the Gov 2.0 summit in Washington D.C.
put on by Tim O'Reilly and others (www.gov2summit.com) which had a
number of discussions/presentations with some of the major U.S. Federal
CIO people, among others.  (I'm planning on writing an OSGeo edu blog
entry on some of the things I saw there...). But what was an overarching
theme that was resonating throughout that conference was "openness as
innovation." An example used multiple times was the innovation that has
emerged (private sector) as a consequence of the GPS system as a
"platform" for innovating at the endpoints. The importance of geocoding
and geospatial was another theme, as was openness of data. People on
this list, of course, know this, and many countries are farther ahead in
this than the U.S.

The reason I raise this is because OSGeo and the federation of projects
it represents is a global leader in this area and I see the next 5 years
as a critical era for the organization.

To me, education around open technologies is key toward this future
growth.  Over the last 2-years, I've been learning a little about the
challenges of leading a community of volunteers interested in OSGeo
education. I don't know how successful I've been -- lots of demands on
my time like everyone else -- but I've tried. We do have a searchable
database of educational content that I think many of us should be proud
of as an example of what we can do as a community.

But one of the things I think we need to do better as a community is
somehow working with the various software projects on education
initiatives. Education efforts will promote the software developed by
OSGeo affiliated projects. In addition, we've started recently a
conversation about trying to define an educational curriculum around OS
Geospatial. In my view, we need to be trying to identify "core
competencies" for OSGeo developers as well as users of the various
software packages and move, as a community toward developing some system
of developing these materials together, and sharing and deriving new
material based on other material.

Empirical work I have not yet published in my forthcoming book on Open
Source collaboration with statistical analysis of 107,000 Sourceforge
projects is showing me that projects that are "successful" -- meaning
they continue to worked on and are not abandoned -- are very often made
up of small teams of developers. But what we have found to be
statistically significant is the successful projects have at least 1
more developer compared to abandoned projects. This tells me that you
don't need large teams to be productive. But you do need to be able to
"link" or "connect" two or three people globally who have a passion for
a project or an idea and also have some of the skills to tackle that
problem. OSGeo has the "platform" and the global reach to make such
connections in my view, whether it be in developing software, or
developing educational material.

My goal, whether it be on the board or in my role trying to move the
education group forward, is to see if we can harness this productive energy.

Cheers
Charlie Schweik