[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO projects and Python 3.x

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 08:46:03 PST 2010

Hey Folks,

I am wondering what, if any, projects are preparing or planning for a
move to support python 3.x.

Due to it being a major release I understand it does not come with
backwards compatibility, however there are some tools out there to help
with this. and of course there is surely to be lots of hands on
tweaking.

This also raises questions about projects using jython as it just
released Jython 2.5.1 in september of 2009.

If there are projects moving towards this assume there are libraries
that will also have to create bindings and such.

with the Public Address Geocoder project (http://www.pagcgeo.org/) I
just created python bindings for the library. I am wondering if I should
go ahead with python 3.x bindings. Using SWIG this should not be a
challenge.

so what are people doing with python 3?

Cheers