[OSGeo-Discuss] Fleet management

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Mon Jan 4 17:11:39 PST 2010

On 2010/01/04 10:41 AM, Louis Sayers wrote:

> On the driver side (running on the GPS device - I'm thinking
> touchscreen) the mapping software would provide driver directions
> visually and possibly audibly - just like a Navigation device e.g.
> TomTom - but with a few custom buttons etc on it to let the driver
> send info back to the server.

For some jurisdictions, the "GPS Device" would need
to be able to respond to voice commands, rather than
the driver having to use "buttons". For example, new
legislation here in BC that took effect January 1st
says about GPS navigation systems:
"It can be programmed in a voice-activated manner"
http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/publications/docs/electronic-devices-while-driving-info.pdf

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems