[OSGeo-Discuss] Opensource Geospatial Job Tracking Software

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Jan 6 12:49:40 PST 2010

Robert,

You wrote: "I'll see if I can come up with any cases where proper process state
management is truly dependent on geometry.  Any one else?"

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about. But I will shoot this over your bow:

Road maintenance department of City paves a section of road.
Two weeks later, the City utility department rips up new pavement to replace storm drain lines.

That timing stinks. If a GIS told a City manager that the two proposed jobs overlapped spatially the storm drain replacement could have occurred before the paving job, or as part of it, resulting in considerable savings in labor and materials.

The potential for this type of mix-up increases greatly when you are dealing with multiple agencies that may have overlapping jurisdictions.

That is one quick example I thought of.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658