[OSGeo-Discuss] density maps

miblon moblin at dogodigi.net
Wed Jan 6 22:40:51 PST 2010

Hi there folks,

I am currently investigating the open source options for generating
density maps. I currently have some php code that could form the bases
to do this, but I would prefer to use more general available api's such
as geotools if that would be possible.

 From a j2ee developers point of view; I am looking for functionality
that I can feed with a dataset of irregular point(jts) geometry and that
will generate a layer like the one shown here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SmIM9yD-tYI/AAAAAAAABlM/FOyoqcie7Cc/s1600-h/Shootings+heat+map+Baltimore+July+2009.jpg

or

http://rbnhw.com/media/epp-ShakeProbability.jpg

preferably, the image should be georeferenced so it can be handled as
wms, but the latter I can fix.

Any ideas or references on where to look would be great!

kind regards,

Milo van der Linden