[OSGeo-Discuss] HELP PLEASE - Does anyone know where I can get high resolution GIS data for use in tutorials?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Jan 12 17:24:08 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:36:11AM +1100, Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *** Sorry for cross-posting for those people on both lists ***
>
> Does anyone have or know of some high resolution vector and raster data
> that can be used in tutorials?

MassGIS.

http://www.mass.gov/mgis/laylist.htm

Ortho imagery up to 15cm.
DEMs.
Vector data, including every road in the state, water, parks, and everything
down to Abandoned Cranberry Bogs (yes, really).

There isn't a better source of unfettered high quality GIS data around.
(Okay, maybe there is, but since I live in Mass... not one that I care about
:))

> The datasets need to be unfetted by intellectual property constraints.
>
> Essentially I want to build a set of tutorials around this data and have
> the users able to download and manipulate the data without breaking any
> laws.
>
> Preferably I would like data for Australia, even better southeast Australia.
>
> Data
>
>    * georeferenced aerial photography (ECW or JPG, 0.15m/pixel)
>    * shapefiles showing cadastral data, soils, contours, roads
>    * DWG files showing details of a development or plan
>
> Spatial Reference System
>
>    * GDA94 MGA55
>
> --
>
> Cheers Simon