[OSGeo-Discuss] Gov't adopting open source ?

andrea giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:20:25 PST 2010

Hi Tyler

2010/1/14 Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) <tmitchell at osgeo.org>:
> I'm just starting to dig into this question myself, but thought I'd ask if
> anyone else knows of a resource/document/site, etc. that shows which
> governments (nationally, regional or municipal) have committed to open
> source software?

1) in Europe, there is OSOR, which is the Open Source observatory. www.osor.eu

This can be a good source.

2) Most countries I am familiar with have a similar national service
(in Italy this is run by CNIPA)

3) Focusing on geospatial, from GFOSS.it we have been compiling since
Fall 2007 an inventory of FOSS web sites.
These are mostly related to public sector bodies.

You can find the list, in Italian, here:

http://wiki.gfoss.it/index.php/Catalogo_WebGIS

Most sites should be active. The list is not refreshed every
fortnight, but I took care of verifying the URLs after the first round
of survey.

The list is categorized by type of "body" (Region, Province, River
management authorities, and other strange administrative units we use
in our neighbourhood...)

Regards from Italy

Andrea Giacomelli
http://www.pibinko.org