[OSGeo-Discuss] Comment on OSGeo Project Marketing template before we set it in stone

Arnulf Christl seven at arnulf.us
Mon Jun 7 07:37:54 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 08:59 +1000, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Arnulf,
> I agree that we should only have one marketing template, which will
> provide content for a pdf/paper flier, a HTML description for the OSGeo
> LiveDVD, and an Open Office Text (odt) format, which can be cut&pasted
> into various other uses, like System Integrators' marketing material.
>
> The postgis template I put together is based upon the prior marketing
> template. I'd like to think it to be an enhancement, or version 2 of the
> template.
>
> In particular, I've moved from the Open Office Presenter format to Open
> Office Text format as it is harder to the key useful formats for users
> (HTML, ODT and Word).
>
> I also expect that we will get marketing material for every project that
> is on the LiveDVD, which includes most of the OSGeo projects, as these
> projects have already produced similar material for prior LiveDVD releases.
>
> Jason,
> Note that the LiveDVD packages more than just OSGeo incubating and
> graduated projects. As OSGeo support is only for OSGeo support projects,
> that means there are some projects on the LiveDVD which are not included
> in OSGeo Support.

Saying "OSGeo support" in the context of commercial activities might
suggest that OSGeo actually does provide this on its own - which is not
the case and not foreseeable. Restricting the "commercial support
corner" to flyers or info sheets for OSGeo projects only could also be
interpreted as a restriction which in my opinion is not something that
OSGeo would like to propose. So many details to consider... thanks for
moving this forward!

Best regards,
Arnulf.