[OSGeo-Discuss] GPS Versus Maps

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jun 1 09:37:42 PDT 2010

David (and Peter?),

Thanks for the pointer.  I dont' know that Iagree 100% with the research conclusions, mostly on the grounds that I think a Digital map can be made to be as useful or more useful than a paper version.  Forget about the GPS aspect for am minute, or put it into the background.

A digital screen, even a small one, that can track itself with GPS and also provide a display based on directional bearing, would be ahead of the game with regard to paper maps right from the start.

Don't get me wrong here, we print out paper maps for the Fire and Police Dept.s here every year a least, mostly because the digital infrastructure isn't yet in place to handle the previously described Map-enabled GPS.

Basically I'm of the mind that there is a possibilty of having a digital replacement of the paper map, it may or may not have a GPS tied to it, but tying the GPS to a system of this sort as a background helper function, and not a main focus of the process would be more successful as far as usability.

bobb

>>> "Sampson, David" <David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca> wrote:

This was an interesting resource passed around our offices I thought the
OSGEO community might appreciate.

Thanks Peter,

=======

Source: Peter Paul, Natural Resources Canada

A brief discussion from the CBC Radio Program 'Spark' ...

Spark 115 - May 30 & June 1, 2010
http://www.cbc.ca/spark/

Scroll down left menu to reach the title 'Paper Maps vs GPS', then click
the audio button to listen to Nora Young's interview with Prof. Toru
Ishikawa who has done some usability testing recently at the University
of Tokyo.

--Peter