[OSGeo-Discuss] Request for a new project: GIS for Enterprise Linux

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Jun 3 00:09:49 PDT 2010

Hello Mathieu:

I see no-one from OSGeo has responded yet (not on the list, anyway) so
I'll chime in with a few quick comments.
First - Your initiative is IMHO very positive, worthwhile even long
overdue. I am sure a repo of CentOSGIS with a consistant set of packages
will be well accepted and widely used.
Second - Having said that, most users will probably wait till CentOS 6.x ...
Third - I'm am not a representative of OSGeo, but as far as I know, none
of the OSGeo projects are "distro specific", so I don't know if they
will accept allocating resources for this program. Wiki and maillist
maybe yes, but I don't see it as an OSGeo project with the usual
incubation->acceptance procedure.

Best Regards,
Micha

Micha Silver