[OSGeo-Discuss] Request for a new project: GIS for Enterprise Linux

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Thu Jun 3 00:29:23 PDT 2010

Hi Micha,

thanks for your feedback!

> Second - Having said that, most users will probably wait till CentOS 6.x ...

Could you please elaborate on that?
Do you think of server or of desktops?

I guess that desktops will switch pretty fast (even though even myself
will take sometime before switching completely, waiting for all the
little usual desktop issues to settle down), but RHEL/CentOS 5 on the
server has still some live into it.

Anyhow, I'm planning to start rebuilding the packages on RHEL 6 Beta
pretty soon.
And CentOS 6 won't probably be available before a few months.

> Third - I'm am not a representative of OSGeo, but as far as I know, none of
> the OSGeo projects are "distro specific", so I don't know if they will
> accept allocating resources for this program. Wiki and maillist maybe yes,

Actually wiki and mailing-list is all what we really need to have
within OSGeo I think.
We are already allocating disk space and computing power for this
project and will keep doing so even if this is just for our own use.
I would just like to have more people using it so that quality
increases and no time get wasted replicating the same effort in many
places.

There is always the option to have this project within the CentOS
community, but it is really not organized around such specific
interest groups. That's why I believe that OSGeo would be the best
place to coordinate.