[OSGeo-Discuss] Request for a new project: GIS for Enterprise Linux

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Jun 3 00:55:07 PDT 2010

On 06/03/2010 12:29 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hi Micha,
>
> thanks for your feedback!
>
>> Second - Having said that, most users will probably wait till CentOS 6.x ...
>
> Could you please elaborate on that?
> Do you think of server or of desktops?
>
> I guess that desktops will switch pretty fast (even though even myself
> will take sometime before switching completely, waiting for all the
> little usual desktop issues to settle down), but RHEL/CentOS 5 on the
> server has still some live into it.
>
> Anyhow, I'm planning to start rebuilding the packages on RHEL 6 Beta
> pretty soon.
> And CentOS 6 won't probably be available before a few months.
>
>> Third - I'm am not a representative of OSGeo, but as far as I know, none of
>> the OSGeo projects are "distro specific", so I don't know if they will
>> accept allocating resources for this program. Wiki and maillist maybe yes,
>
> Actually wiki and mailing-list is all what we really need to have
> within OSGeo I think.
> We are already allocating disk space and computing power for this
> project and will keep doing so even if this is just for our own use.
> I would just like to have more people using it so that quality
> increases and no time get wasted replicating the same effort in many
> places.
>
> There is always the option to have this project within the CentOS
> community, but it is really not organized around such specific
> interest groups. That's why I believe that OSGeo would be the best
> place to coordinate.

You are welcome to start some relevant pages on wiki.osgeo.org as for
mailing list, please file a ticket on the osgeo trac instance and set
the component to SAC (System Administration Committee). Make sure to
include the names and email addresses for the admins of the list. Then
we'll see if one of the admins has time to make the list.
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/

You will need to register for an osgeo account on osgeo.org for access
to trac. I think the wiki is a separate registration still too.

Thanks,
Alex