[OSGeo-Discuss] Comment on OSGeo Project Marketing template before we set it in stone

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Sat Jun 5 11:12:36 PDT 2010

Arnulf,

Yes, I like both of those options.

I think my initial reaction was because it implied that a project was
only supported by a single commercial entity, which isn't healthy. But
I can definitely see the need to meet the use cases you've outlined.

It makes a lot of sense to encourage/enable local consultants to
modify the marketing material for their own use (hopefully without
destroying the brand: OSGeoJason). We need to support our commercial
efforts wherever possible.

Providing a box at the bottom with some boilerplate for the SPD ("for
other commercial support options?") but making it clear that business
cards should be attached on top of it is a great way of supporting the
folks who are working the booths and developing local support for (and
businesses around) OSGeo.

Cameron,

If there are OSGeo projects that are not represented if the provider
directory, this needs to be fixed, probably with a Trac ticket. I like
the idea of a support.osgeo.org that allows you to choose the
"product" you need support for, and are then provided with links to
website, documentation, and a list of commercial support providers
which could be filtered by location. IMO, this would be better as a
separate app than trying to hack drupal. Any takers? :)

I think using the existing templates makes a lot of sense. My main
recommendation for typography (and I'm as far from knowing what I'm
talking about as anyone) would be to pick a single face. As a
non-designer I try to keep the visual hierarchy as simple as possible,
using size and weight and staying away from colour, style, and white
space for defining importance. These can all used effectively, but are
easier to mess up too.

Jason