[OSGeo-Discuss] 5 Star OSGeo project maturity rating

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:27:56 PDT 2010

On 06/06/10 10:14, Jason Birch wrote:
> IMHO getting into rating projects is just asking for trouble,
> infighting, bitterness, and people/projects walking away from OSGeo.

Jason, this is a valid concern with decent founding. However I think the
potential for conflict is not as bad as you may think, and there is a
very strong user community desire for, and value to be gained from such
ratings.

1. We already have a rating system, based upon:
* Project has completed incubation
* Project is in incubation
* Project is not in incubation
What I'm suggesting is that we apply a star system to these stages.

2. We already have a criteria for defining this rating, (which may be
refined), which reduces the subjectiveness and hence the potential for
conflict.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director