[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: land records management with open source GIS

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 08:18:43 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at lizardtech.com> wrote:
>> > A friend of mine is working in a SA country that has a new policy that
>> > all software at the national level must be non-commercial open source.
>>
>> One of these clauses makes sense, one of them does not. Why would you
>> limit yourself to *non* commercial Open Source?
>
> (I parsed the original as meaning "non-commercial [and] open" source, with "non-commercial" being a technically incorrect but informally understood term meaning "not proprietary" -- redundant, in this case, with the use of the term "open".)

Correct. In other words, something they don't have to pay a license
fee for underlying software, and that allows them to peer under the
hood and modify and adapt as needed. Of course, they will pay for the
cost of development, but will save on repeat installations.

All the software that we concern ourselves with on this list falls in
the above category.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org