[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: fastest option of serving huge imagery on web map on the fly

Fabio Renzo Panettieri fpanettieri at xoomcode.com
Fri May 21 14:42:25 PDT 2010

Sorry about, the empty msg before.

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 13:17 -0700, Karsten-3-2 wrote:
> Yes. What I want to do is simply to find out the fastest options to render on
> the fly from raw data imagery
> (no tiles whatsoever  stored on disk in addition to the raw data ). I will
> check out what SpatialCache is...

SpatialCache is a lightweight zero-configuration cache server that we
developed for some internal projects, and later released as OpenSource.

It can be used between your WMS (MapServer for example) and the client
that generates the request.

It works more like Squid than TileCache (with all the pros and cons).
It's very fast and lightweight.

It only needs the base url of your server (or a comma separated list, if
you have more than one), and it will cache the requests you make. It's
intended to be as fast as possible while remaining simple.

Also, if you need it in a special case, you can send seed and delete
data requests via REST.

If you need to avoid generating "image files" I don't think this would
help, but you can always give it a try to see if it fits.

I mean, you can have MapServer serve your compressed data through
SpatialCache, this way it will store decompressed  data only when the
user request it, and it will only be a small part.

The next time someone ask for the same data, it's already stored
decompressed. I think it's a nice trade-off between disk space and
speed.

--
Fabio R. Panettieri