[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G rpm packaging

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Mon Nov 8 03:09:56 PST 2010

Hi Ralph,

> Are you aware of Mathieu's work to also package GeoSpatial Open Source into
> RPM repositories?

this is indeed very interesting!

Just to clarify: we are working on RPM packaging specifically for
Enterprise Linux (RHEL and derivatives such as CentOS), not on generic
RPM packaging.

Here is the main entry point describing this effort:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Enterprise_Linux_GIS

I am actually primarily a Java developer/architect and I am working
with GeoTools and GeoServer.
I (and others, as I was told) would be very interested to have them
properly packaged as RPMs.

However, I have very little experience with Java RPM packaging
(although I follow the JPP project for years: thanks for that to you
all!), because in my organization the target runtime is OSGi and we
use approaches which leverage OSGi versioning in order to integrate it
with RPM deployment.

Anyhow, I would be very interested to integrate your effort in the EL
GIS repository, but we need to see how it can build upon base
RHEL/CentOS and EPEL java packages (which are themselves mostly based
on JPP if I'm not mistaken).

Feel free to join the el at lists.osgeo.org list or to contact me directly.

Cheers,

Mathieu