[OSGeo-Discuss] Usage of 'FOSS4G' in webpages?

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Fri Oct 15 04:09:24 PDT 2010

Yes, IMO we need a term for the specific subdomain of FOSS we are all
involved in. I started using "FOSS4G" in presentations and with
customers lately as I understood (after consulting, I think with Arnulf)
that would cover it. The term "GFOSS" I see used sparingly (and there is
also a "GFOSS Conference"
http://antonakoglou.com/2010/05/16/gfoss-conference-2010).

I really would like to see a single acronym (so my family & friends can
Google on what I am working in :-)). FOSS4G/GFOSS/GeoFOSS/GOSS are
candidates. Something with "GIS" (have seen OSGIS, FOSSGIS, OpenGIS)
seems to be indicating "privative" (closed) software but is understood
by a wider audience. (As is Open Source over FOSS but that was already a
heated debate..).

Suggestion: have a poll and settle on an acronym and spread it ?

best,

--Just

Just van den Broecke
www.justobjects.nl