[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: " GRASS not in demand, says PennState"

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Oct 27 05:50:18 PDT 2010

> > Are you seeing positions requiring knowledge of open source software such as
GRASS?

> Two of the panelists answered.  One said
>
> > More generally, the ability to create custom software solutions - whether
proprietary or open source or a
> combination of the two - is in high demand.
>
> which is a good, healthy response.  But the other said
>
> > Not seeing positions posted with GRASS.
Please, both users, academia and industry need to see that it's not about a
particular software product.
In the end it countshow efficient I can get a particular job done and how
accurate the results are.

FOSS stuff is great for teaching because they allow to understand the ideas
behind both by sound combination of different tools and looking into the
development life cycle (bug discussions, maillist, code). students can do their
own work without licese headaches and also achive tracability of the results.