[OSGeo-Discuss] is TileCache alive ?

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Wed Sep 1 06:52:45 PDT 2010

On 01.09.2010, at 15:24, Steven Ottens wrote:

> I'm also interested in new developments in tiling.
> I found that both TileCache and GeoWebCache are lacking in their capabilities to handle and manage (selective pretiling, deleting, handling empty-tiles) vast amounts of tilesets or more 'enterprise' oriented functions like statistics and being able to distribute the tiles over redundant servers.

I can only speak for MapProxy and it does support selective pretiling (seeding polygon areas, that is) and it supports empty/single color tiles with symbolic links.
It is also possible to cascade MapProxy, but there is no enterprisey SOAP interface for that :)

But I have to agree with you, there is still lots of room for improvements on the tool side. Maybe it is time for a tiling BOF at the FOSS4G?

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR