[OSGeo-Discuss] Does osgeo provide infrastructure for non-incubating projects?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 04:43:18 PDT 2011

On 11-04-05 04:59 AM, Fernando González wrote:
> The first step is to
> create a work group to learn GGL2 technologies so we need a mailing
> list and a public SCM (we work with a private one currently).
>
> Is it possible to get such infrastructure from osgeo? Some people in
> GearScape mailing list suggested to ask here for a trac instance and
> even to apply for incubation. I like the incubation idea but I guess
> we're not so big yet. Would it be possible at least to start by being
> hosted? I think GGL2 is somewhat innovative and it could be
> interesting for osgeo to include such a project if it ever succeeds.

Fernando,

Yes, OSGeo does sometimes provide mailing list, Trac and SVN services for
non-OSGeo (ie. non-incubating) projects.  For mailing lists the barrier is
quite low.  For Trac/SVN you need someone on the system administration
committee who is willing and able to do the work.  That proponent then
makes a motion on the SAC mailing list, and once passed provides notice
to the board in case there are concerns.  Generally speaking the hard
part of the process is finding someone willing and able to do the work.
The rest just slightly delays things.

We (on SAC) are generally more supportive of projects that we think have
a prospect of going through incubation at some point or that are closely
related to existing OSGeo projects.

Best regards,