[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G program community voting now open!

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Fri Apr 29 15:02:03 PDT 2011

Hi Bob,

No, there isn't a url with selection criteria. We are using the same process
as in previous years. The primary factor in selection is what the community
deems to be interesting, as indicated by the results of this poll. The
conference organizing committee uses that as input to decide on the final
program. One of the main things the committee will consider in making
adjustments is the balance of the program - we will use our judgment to
switch in or out some papers if we feel certain topics or projects are over
or under represented. And we will try to make sure there is a suitable mix
of introductory and advanced topics, etc. We've discussed selection criteria
on the committee and feel there are too many variables to be able document
anything very meaningful - it basically comes down to the judgment of the
committee, who represent a wide range of experience and backgrounds.

In previous years the poll results haven't been published, just the final
list of papers accepted by the committee, and this is our plan for this year
also. It's already a very difficult and time consuming task for the
committee to select (approximately) 120 papers from 300 very strong
submissions, even with the input from the community vote (which is something
unique to FOSS4G among conferences I've been involved with). So in common
with other conferences, we really can't afford to give individual feedback
or get into discussions with the 180 disappointed submitters on why they
weren't selected, that's just not going to be practical. I think that
publishing the vote results, which are the primary factor but still just
part of the evaluation, would would raise more questions than answers and
make the committee's job harder than it already is.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Peter.