[OSGeo-Discuss] designing databases, organizing data formats to work with open source and proprietary GIS

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:31:05 PDT 2011

All, esp Karsten, I wonder if you've given consideration to the feasibility
of a solution based on web services;

If feasible, this could bypass the issue you correctly raise re "what data
storage solution you would recommend ", since the function of the service wd
be to return data in one of the standard/common formats regardless of the
origin.

It's a non-trivial effort to design a suitable API,  but such an
implementation cd provide the data to suitably-connected desktop
applications, as well as to conventional browsers, of course

AS