[OSGeo-Discuss] designing databases, organizing data formats to work with open source and proprietary GIS

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Thu Aug 11 01:45:21 PDT 2011

Hi there.

Im my view, there are 2 levels of integration: with and without ArcSDE.

If you have ArcSDE then you should follow Simon’s tips. It’s a tougher challenge to try getting all ArcGIS functionality and at the same time sharing the database with other tiers of software.
If you don’t then it’s simpler but it’s very likely that you will have to settle with some limitations in ArcGIS, mainly read-only access to the database, and not having the geodb design’s perks, like subtypes, domains, topology, etc. Since 10 you can already load data from a variety of spatial rdbms including pgsql. But not editing. I’m not sure what will change in 10.1.

For the Open Source side of things, going the way of pgsql is all you need! All tribes show their love for pgsql so it’s very powerfull in all aspects, desktop and server, C and Java, etc. Also you will be well served in other arenas besides GIS.

Just my 2 cents.
Duarte