[OSGeo-Discuss] Mapnik vs GeoSErver/MapServer

nicolas bozon nicolas.bozon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 23:17:51 PST 2011

Hi Frans,

Yes, Mapnik is yet another WMS/WMTS server which specializes in rendering
OSM or GDAL/OGR data as fast and beautiful tiles.

Mapserver and Geoserver also have their own renderers, and their own cache
tile systems (Mapcache, GeoWebCache). They are also implementing other OGC
standards like WFS. As far as i know Mapnik does not support such a
standard and is not planning to. Of course, the Mapnik folks can probably
explain main features and differences much better than me.

Another minor difference is that Mapnik isn't an OSGeo project, compared to
the two other servers you mentionned.

Hope it helps

Best,

Nick