[OSGeo-Discuss] Creating Value from Raster Data

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:40:02 PST 2011

Hi Landon,

> - Does anyone know of research or work being done with the
> development of open source algorithms and programming libraries to
> enable automated feature creation from raster data?

Does it means to produce a polygon feature layer from a raster?

GDAL has this function - gdal_polygonize

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_polygonize.html

GDAL raster functions are all ported in QGIS as a plugin (i.e Raster) in QGIS.

Download QGIS 1.6.0 and have a look at the Raster. QGIS supports
vector, raster, database, etc.

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Download

GdalTools plugin - (Raster)

https://trac.faunalia.it/GdalTools-plugin/