[OSGeo-Discuss] Creating Value from Raster Data

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 4 18:48:11 PST 2011

One might argue that slippy maps and tile caches have added a lot of
value to raster data or at least demand.

But more directly on the topic in addition to GDAL.
GRASS http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=104
See pg 115+ from Open Source GIS A GRASS Approach (Neteler, Mitasova)

More generically aside from extraction, there's combinatorial calculation:
Calculation of NDVI for vegetation analysis (NIR and Red bands)
Looking for fires in MODIS data (Thermal band math)
Watershed flows from DEMs
Solar radiation analysis (Think solar panel placement)
etc.

Specifically it sounds like you're talking about Unsupervised/Supervised
classification

A lot of these can be done with any RASTER based analysis application.

So SAGA has some tools, and I can't quite remember but INPE in Brazil
was working on some FOSS Image classification software too.

Thanks,
Alex