[OSGeo-Discuss] Open source for local government resources

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Jan 27 08:26:49 PST 2011

Charlie Schweik wrote:
> OSGeo colleagues,
>
> A colleague of mine is publishing an article in Government Technology
> Magazine. At the end of the article he wants to list some good
> resources that local governments might turn to if they were
> considering open source. I'd like to build such a list. This doesn't
> have to be OS Geo in particular. It could be just on open source in
> general.
>
> If anyone has links to good content that would inform local gov
> decision-makers, can you send to me? I'll compile and send out what I
> learn or perhaps will make a wiki page for us with that content.
The obvious starting place is Open Source for America:
http://opensourceforamerica.org/ (mostly a Federal focus)
for Defense: mil-oss.org
the GOSCON conference, which we all know about: gocon.org
Oregon State Open Source Lab (and particularly see their sponsor list):
http://osuosl.org
Redhat has a page on State & Local Government use of Linux at
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/government/state/ - with some links to
resources and case studies

Miles Fidelman, Principal
Protocol Technologies Group