[OSGeo-Discuss] Open source for local government resources

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Jan 27 08:39:37 PST 2011

All,

The GeoMoose project (http://www.geomoose.org/) was initially created by, and for, local governments, expressly for use as an online mapping publication, information and discovery tool.   It's since gone on to see use in other business professions besides local government.

bobb

Charlie Schweik wrote:
> OSGeo colleagues,
>
> A colleague of mine is publishing an article in Government Technology
> Magazine. At the end of the article he wants to list some good
> resources that local governments might turn to if they were
> considering open source. I'd like to build such a list. This doesn't
> have to be OS Geo in particular. It could be just on open source in
> general.
>
> If anyone has links to good content that would inform local gov
> decision-makers, can you send to me? I'll compile and send out what I
> learn or perhaps will make a wiki page for us with that content.
The obvious starting place is Open Source for America:
http://opensourceforamerica.org/ (mostly a Federal focus)
for Defense: mil-oss.org
the GOSCON conference, which we all know about: gocon.org
Oregon State Open Source Lab (and particularly see their sponsor list):
http://osuosl.org
Redhat has a page on State & Local Government use of Linux at
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/government/state/ - with some links to
resources and case studies

Miles Fidelman, Principal
Protocol Technologies Group