[OSGeo-Discuss] Open source for local government resources

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 09:45:10 PST 2011

Charlie , good news re that planned article.  Here's our contribution.

A mainstay of most local government public safety operations is a
Computer-Aided-Dispatch  (AKA CAD) application, and our project has
developed and made available such an animal, Tickets CAD by name.  It's
free, Open Source, and has been under continuing upgrade since its initial
release in 2007.   Its cost - again, it's free - makes it suitable for many
operations that need to manage their dispatch operations but simply lack the
budget.

Or, some operations that find commercial, proprietary packages can't meet
their operational needs, and the cost of custom tailoring is prohibitive.
Open Source changes all that.

I'll note only that while not suitable for every public safety site - no
single CAD can be that -  Tickets includes extensive facilities for
tailoring to a site's particular terminology and usage requirements, as well
as the record-keeping and geo-oriented capabilities a modern CAD requires.

Some specifics re resources:

Tickets CAD is available from SourceForge at
http://openises.sourceforge.net/tickets01.html - where the verbiage needs
some refreshing, although the download is current.

We have a discussion group at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?lnk=gcimv#!forum/open-source-cad<https://groups.google.com/forum/?lnk=gcimv#%21forum/open-source-cad>

It was discussed a bit ago in
http://www.emsworld.com/features/article.jsp?id=11988&siteSection=7

Will be happy to expand on any of the above, of course.

Arnie Shore
Lead Developer

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net