[OSGeo-Discuss] A few survey stats

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu May 12 16:05:45 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-12, at 3:53 PM, Simon Cropper wrote:
> It would be interesting to get a summary of the participant background. was their more academic respondents resulting in a bias? I wonder what the chart would look like if you extracted the broad OSGeo groups (academics, government, developers, users) and presented the same charts, whether they would show academics favoured work with academics, government with governments, etcetera.

It's a good question and I didn't capture that kind of information - though I did skim through the list of emails that were provided and I didn't notice too many .edu or related addresses, but that's not definitive for sure.  There is another set of questions around improvements that tied in nicely too.

The takeaway from my perspective - majority of voters think docs/training material need significant improvement and that they believe having OSGeo software in the labs at academic institutions is a good idea.  I am guessing that "business" didn't score higher on the first question simply because most businesses aren't thinking that they "need" OSGeo to do something to help them.  Lots more conversation to have to get our finger on the true pulse there though too!

It's going to be a fun summer hashing through some of these ideas for sure.
Tyler