[OSGeo-Discuss] mailing lists

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu May 26 13:31:51 PDT 2011

OpenLayers is in a bit of a mess with regard to mailing lists.  We have
several @openlayers.org addresses that non-members should be able to
write to.  These addresses could be consolidated (to one address in my
opinion), but they include things like places to send in CLA, ask for
trac/subversion access, inquire about sponsorship, etc.

Our PSC list in particular has become completely unusable.  For
historical reasons, only Chris Schmidt and Erik Uzureau had admin access
to our PSC list.  The list has been moved to OSGeo infrastructure, but
there is still an @openlayers.org alias set up.  This list currently has
around 12,000 messages awaiting moderation (according to Chris) and the
list admin page returns a 500 when logging in.

I'd like to move to a mailing list solution with better spam control.
The PSC has expressed approval for using hosted elsewhere like Google
Groups.  I'm sure others have opinions about alternatives, so I thought
I'd ask here first.  It's important in our case to have an archived list
that non-members can post to with good spam control.  I've had moderate
success using Google Groups for this purpose.

Thanks for any opinions,
Tim

--
Tim Schaub