[OSGeo-Discuss] mailing lists

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 26 13:38:07 PDT 2011

On 11-05-26 04:31 PM, Tim Schaub wrote:
> OpenLayers is in a bit of a mess with regard to mailing lists. We have several
> @openlayers.org addresses that non-members should be able to write to. These
> addresses could be consolidated (to one address in my opinion), but they
> include things like places to send in CLA, ask for trac/subversion access,
> inquire about sponsorship, etc.
>
> Our PSC list in particular has become completely unusable. For historical
> reasons, only Chris Schmidt and Erik Uzureau had admin access to our PSC list.
> The list has been moved to OSGeo infrastructure, but there is still an
> @openlayers.org alias set up. This list currently has around 12,000 messages
> awaiting moderation (according to Chris) and the list admin page returns a 500
> when logging in.
>
> I'd like to move to a mailing list solution with better spam control. The PSC
> has expressed approval for using hosted elsewhere like Google Groups. I'm sure
> others have opinions about alternatives, so I thought I'd ask here first. It's
> important in our case to have an archived list that non-members can post to
> with good spam control. I've had moderate success using Google Groups for this
> purpose.

Tim,

I have normally configured mailman lists to immediately reject any email
messages from someone who is not subscribed and I have found this filtered
out 99.9% of spam.  If you need admin assistance clearing the moderation
queue for a list let me know.

I will confess this approach isn't very suitable for mailing addresses that
are intended to be publically mailable without subscribing.  If you need
such a thing for special purposes you might want to handle it elsewhere.

Best regards,