[OSGeo-Discuss] Open "StreamMap"?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 27 22:04:04 PDT 2011

On 5/27/2011 9:51 PM, Charlie Schweik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find myself wondering if there is a possibility of starting an "open
> stream map" project in a similar way to open street map? With the idea
> that this might be connected to an invasive plant species effort too...
>
> It is an interesting idea -- roads are relatively stable. Streams have
> additional attributes, like water levels.
>
> Any reactions or ideas on how this might be started?

You might start with DEMs and analyze them for V like paths that
represent drainage in the terrain. This would give you a starting place.
Then I suppose you could recruit people that like to hike to collect GPS
tracks along rivers, streams, ponds and lakes and enter that into a OSM
server designed to work with hydrology models.

-Steve W