[OSGeo-Discuss] Open "StreamMap"?

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri May 27 22:18:08 PDT 2011

Hi,
The CommonMap.org API will be able to handle data-extracts, so then
independent maps can be remixed into new works.

Especially for data like 'groundwater', it'll probably be added to
CommonMap, but might not get to OpenStreetMap.

Cheers,
Sam

On 5/27/11, Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/2011 9:51 PM, Charlie Schweik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I find myself wondering if there is a possibility of starting an "open
>> stream map" project in a similar way to open street map? With the idea
>> that this might be connected to an invasive plant species effort too...
>>
>> It is an interesting idea -- roads are relatively stable. Streams have
>> additional attributes, like water levels.
>>
>> Any reactions or ideas on how this might be started?
>
> You might start with DEMs and analyze them for V like paths that
> represent drainage in the terrain. This would give you a starting place.
> Then I suppose you could recruit people that like to hike to collect GPS
> tracks along rivers, streams, ponds and lakes and enter that into a OSM
> server designed to work with hydrology models.
>
> -Steve W

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn