[OSGeo-Discuss] help with catalog of OGC services

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Sun Oct 2 21:23:02 PDT 2011

I have about 15 or so OGC services running with MapServer, mostly WMS but a
few WFS and hopefully some WCS in the future.   I'd like to have an easy way
for users to browse through my services.  Of course, I can manually create a
web page listing my services but there should be something better.  A CSW
catalog would be nice as traditional desktop GIS users can easily
browse/search and add my services directly to their GIS.     It'd also be
great if my services could be harvested by other catalogs.

Does anyone know of a way to run a CSW-compliant app by simply adding
existing etCapability URLs?  I know about GeoNetwork but it doesn't seem
like I need the full GUI or multi-user editor as it's only me (plus I'd
rather not have to manually create/maintain records for each service as I
think I'd have to with GN.)  Does anyone know if MapServer can perform like
a CSW, perhaps by pointing to local map files?

In the end, I'm looking for a way to easily maintain a catalog of OGC
services through integrating existing services as much as possible.  Thanks
for any guidance.

- John

John Callahan, Research Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware