[OSGeo-Discuss] help with catalog of OGC services

heikki tropicano at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:53:19 PDT 2011

dear John,

GeoNetwork can do exactly that : it can generate metadata about a W*S
service and its layers. Just configure it with the correct URL etc. to
"harvest" and your metadata gets generated, with thumbnail previews if you
like.

Anything against using GeoNetwork for this ? You can just use it to create
your metadata in this way and have it served as a CSW server. Nobody
requires you to use the metadata editor, etc -- those parts will just sit
there and when left alone have no impact on how heavy the application runs.

Maybe you should cross-post to the GeoNetwork list if you have more
questions about this ?

Kind regards
Heikki Doeleman