[OSGeo-Discuss] Recommended Geography grad programs

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Feb 9 13:35:36 PST 2012

On 02/09/2012 10:04 AM, Jake Sopher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm finishing up my degree in Geography @ University of California,
> Santa Barbara, and I'm interested in (hopefully somewhat funded)
> graduate programs in Geography that would allow me to use my coding
> skills to develop Open Source GIS solutions for credit.
>
> I'm open to international programs, as well ones located in North America.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jacob Sopher
> --------
>
> http://about.me/jesopher

Jacob,

Here's a list of some potential people to talk (professors and students)
to for more information about programs and to help track down professors
you might work with. You might also want to join the osgeo EDU committee
mailing list where some of these people are involved.

Arizona - Luc Anselin
Penn State - Ian Turton
OSU - Bernhard Jenny, Dylan Keon
UC Santa Barbara- Michael Goodchild, Alan Glennon (Phd student under
Goodchild)
UC Davis - Robert Hijmans, Jim Quinn
Towson University, Maryland -Jay Morgan
Denver - Ben Tuttle, Eric Wolf
University of Wisconsin - Mark Harrower
University of Mass. Amherst - Charlie Schweik
Univ. North Carolina - Helena Mitasova
Harvard - http://geonode.org/2011/02/worldmap/
Stanford - Though I'm not sure who

I'm a little biased of course towards my program,
http://geography.ucdavis.edu
Jim Quinn is my advisor and I work closely with Robert Hijmans (author
of the Raster package for R).

FYI, funding is whole different ball of wax that is often about finding
a professor you want to work with that has an interesting project you
want to work on.

Enjoy,
Alex
Phd Candidate