[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G North America Conference coming April 10-12

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:58:58 PST 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Volker Mische wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as many of you probably know, I was strongly against having a North
> American FOSS4G, as it might draw the attention away from the
> international one, and I vaporise the yearly gathering of the
> (developer) tribe.

I never understood this rationale. Can you explain it further?  To me, it seems to presume that all of the momentum behind these technologies is in North America and Europe.  If that assumption is true, why should the conference continue to move around the world and avoid a more massive audience that can support it?  If that presumption is false, why can't a conference in non-NA/EU parts of the world be just as vibrant and interesting?

Howard