[OSGeo-Discuss] Charter Member nomination - Angelos Tzotsos

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Sun Jun 24 01:42:04 PDT 2012

Il 23/06/2012 04:57, Cameron Shorter ha scritto:
> I'd like to nominate Angelos Tzotsos as an OSGeo Charter member, as I
> believe he exemplifies many of the key qualities we look for in OSGeo
> Advocates.

I would like to join Cameron in this nomination.
I met Angelos in Athens a few weeks ago and we had a long conversation,
that gave me an opportunity to learn more about the "B-side" of his
outstanding contribution to OSGeo (the A-side being software
development, translations and OSGeo Live): the Greek OSGeo community. As
I made already clear a few days ago, I believe it is very important to
facilitate the growth of new, strong communities where they are still
missing. In a way, nominating Angelos is for me a way to support the
activity that he and his fellow Greek OSGeo members are already carrying
on, showing that OSGeo cares globally about local initiatives as much as
the local communities care about global developments (again, software).
Finally, Angelos was among the first ones to show an interest in Total
Open Station, the software I develop with others. Far from being led by
personal excitement, I see this interest towards the world of surveying
as a first step towards one of the most promising developments OSGeo may
and should achieve, namely being able to provide a complete software
(and hardware?) stack for surveying.

Thank you all for reading this e-mail. Ciao
steko