[OSGeo-Discuss] Is Your Project In OSGeo Labs?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:28:02 PST 2012

On 11/29/2012 02:31 AM, Landon Blake wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to take over as the steward for OSGeo
> Labs as part of my duties with the OSGeo Incubation Committee. As part
> of this process I'd like to get a handle on the projects that are "in"
> labs. There is a short list of "stable" and "young and experimental"
> projects on the current Labs wiki page. Since I'm editing that page
> today, here is the list:
>
> Stable Projects:
> - GeoWebCache
> - pgRouting
>
> Young and Experimental Projects
> - GeoExt
> - GeoFunctions
> - Geoinformatica

Geoinformatica is my project, it's not young, but it's experimental.
It's made of a part in C, libral, and several Perl packages, which build
on GDAL and GTK+ Perl bindings (I also maintain the GDAL Perl bindings).
The oldest parts are in libral, which date at least 10 years back.
libral was a simple raster algebra package, but I've added to it a
simple visualization library to render GDAL rasters and vectors to a
memory canvas (pixbuf), which can be given to GDK (a GTK+ subsystem).
I've made an effort to separate this library into a library of its own
(gvl - also a part of Geoinformatica), but it's not in use.

Geoinformatica has a very small community, I guess one reason is because
the Perl geospatial community is small(?) and distributed. Also, maybe
it's the experimental or personal thing, but maintaining stable APIs or
a reasonable development path in several interdependent libraries has
been quite difficult for me. However, I regularly use Geoinformatica
myself. I use the GUI a bit less because QGIS has become very good and
because there is not yet useful WMS and WFS GUIs to use the GDAL WMS and
WFS drivers in it. Lately I've written WxS servers (WMS and WFS are
functional already) with it - Perl has traditionally very good web/CGI
support so that's interesting.

I think OSGeo Labs could be a good forum and platform for collaboration
with academia, especially the OSGeo Academic Network and the emerging
network of research labs collaborating with OSGeo and FOSS4G in general.
One issue I have observed is that the developer community in academic
FOSS4G (and other geospatial) users/members is still a small minority.
Yes, I'm in academia too.

This may be the best portal for Geoinformatica things in the web

http://geoinformatics.aalto.fi/en/software/

Cheers and thanks Landon for taking this up,

Ari