[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G presentation review process

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 07:16:48 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Adrian Custer <acuster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just picking the 'good' talks may lead the conference to once again have
> many talks about the same projects that have come to dominate and fewer
> talks from new talent.
>
> Therefore picking talks only on the individual merits, whether of the
> abstract, topic, or speaker, leads to a particular kind of gathering,
> geared towards past success rather than towards fostering future diversity.

 Yes, this is why the community rating is only part of the process.
The intention of it is, I think, to give the committee an idea of
community feeling for the proposals. If the top 100 community-related
proposals are all about PostGIS the committee should make some
adjustments for balance, but would at least know what the top 10 rated
PostGIS proposals were and have a PostGIS stream for them.

 Also, FOSS4G is not an Unconference...

Barry