[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G presentation review process

Lluís Vicens lluis at sigte.udg.es
Thu Oct 4 04:40:12 PDT 2012

Al 02/10/12 16:16, En/na Barry Rowlingson ha escrit:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Adrian Custer <acuster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just picking the 'good' talks may lead the conference to once again have
>> many talks about the same projects that have come to dominate and fewer
>> talks from new talent.
>>
>> Therefore picking talks only on the individual merits, whether of the
>> abstract, topic, or speaker, leads to a particular kind of gathering,
>> geared towards past success rather than towards fostering future diversity.
>   Yes, this is why the community rating is only part of the process.
> The intention of it is, I think, to give the committee an idea of
> community feeling for the proposals. If the top 100 community-related
> proposals are all about PostGIS the committee should make some
> adjustments for balance, but would at least know what the top 10 rated
> PostGIS proposals were and have a PostGIS stream for them.
At FOSSG2010 in Barcelona, considering that we had different sized rooms
at the venue, we used the community rating as a valuable information to
assign rooms to each presentation, according to its popularity. Again,
as Barry pointed out, the community rating was considered as a part of
the process of selecting presentations. Then the LOC assumed the final
selection of presentations, trying to keep a logical balance between
topics, presenters, etc... and its popularity.

My 2cts
Regards,

Lluís