[OSGeo-Discuss] Should we write a FOSS4G Cookbook?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:34:23 PDT 2012

In analysing the downfall of FOSS4G 2012 [1] one of the key lessons that
became apparent to me is that we are not very efficient at passing on
Lessons Learned from one conference to the next.

Could we do a better job of knowledge transfer by building an OSGeo
Conference Body of Knowledge? Something like a FOSS4G Cookbook [2]?

If so, what should be the scope of the cookbook? Should it only be for
the international FOSS4G event? Should it cover regional conferences
too? Should it also cover FOSS4G steams in other conferences?

Who thinks this idea is important enough that you would like to help
write sections of the Cookbook, or help with editing?

What format should we use to write the Cookbook? Maybe a wiki?

I'm interested to help push this idea forward if we as a community think
that there will be value in such a collaboratively edited document.

If you have an interest, please respond on the OSGeo conference_dev
email list (rather than OSGeo Discuss)

[1]
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/analysing-downfall-of-foss4g-2012.html
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Cookbook